Tuesday, August 5, 2008

My Money Tree Has Blossomed

For a while, I've been quietly hoping that my insurance would fully cover my surgery. But working with the insurance company is anything but simple. There are many, many hoops to jump through, and you have to know which hoops to ask for - meaning, you had better learn the lingo. So as you can imagine, dealing with the financial aspects of this surgery has had its stressful moments.


For starters, my OS is not in my network, which adds a layer of complication from the get-go. Luckily, however, the financial person at Dr. Asdell's office gave me some pointers on how to navigate the system. She told me that if there's not another doctor within a 50-mile radius who could perform this kind of surgery, then my insurance will reclassify my surgery as an in-network benefit. But I had to request this, she said. She also advised me to get it in writing. So I called my insurance company, and sure enough, they said they would cover it as an in-network benefit, but I couldn't get it in writing. Okay...I guess, although it made nervous that I didn't have any proof this would be covered in this way. So, I've been holding my breath, hoping this dream would come true. And it did - last week, I received a hefty check in the mail that will cover the entire surgery. Phew, what a huge relief!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic! I bet you're relieved. :-) It calls for some sort of celebration!

mylene

Lori G. said...

That's great! Insurance company lingo can be very confusing. I am glad everything worked out.

cookieyum said...

Yea! Isn't nice when things go right for a change. I'm still not sure what the total bill is going to be for Kelley's surgery. All I was told was that we pay 15%, but have a $3000 max. out of pocket. So we'll see when the bills start to roll in.

Nate said...

Good job! You make it seem quite painless. Hopefully the folks at the Marriott will be just as "easy"...