Wednesday, July 30, 2008

At the Home Stretch - 5 weeks post-op!

Today marks my 5-week anniversary. Hooray!! That means one more week and my jaw will be fully healed. Of course, my recovery is far from complete. Dr. Asdell said that it will take a year to reach a 100% recovery.

So how does it feel to be 5 weeks post-op? In a word: fabulous. Let me count the ways:

1. I can smile. Doing my facial exercises really pays off - not only do I freak people out like Rachel, who likes to do hers in the car at traffic stops, but you really do get noticeable results. This helps me when I speak, too. I'm starting to sound less childlike. Nice!

2. I can eat soft foods. In addition to eating soups and smoothies, which I still do on a regular basis, I can now eat soft foods, like scrambled eggs, pancakes, casseroles, and lasagna. Hallelujah! I am rejoicing over this change in my diet.


3. I can breathe. Of course I can breathe, you say. Well, sure. But the first week after my surgery, I couldn't breathe out of my nose. I constantly had nose bleeds and congestion. I would have to take hot showers just to open my nasal passages a bit. It was pretty annoying to always have to breathe out of my mouth. And especially at night because I would wake up with a dehydrated tongue and scratchy throat. Gross!! Having this experience made me realize how much we take our bodies for granted. Now, please do me a favor and take a deep breath. Enjoy the passage of air as it enters and leaves your body. It's tremendous!

4. I have more energy. I was really tired the first few weeks after my surgery. And for good reason: Having both of your jaws broken and realigned is no picnic! This surgery is really traumatic to the body, so it does take time to bounce back and feel like a normal person again. But now I feel great! I'm back to riding my bike and hanging out with friends. I go out to public places, like the public library and Heather's coffee shop.

5. I feel relaxed. Since my surgery, I haven't had any coffee. For those of you who know me, that's perhaps a surprise to hear. I was the type of person who required at least two cups of coffee to get my day started. Now that I don't drink it, I feel more relaxed.  I sleep like a baby at night, too. We'll see if I can forgo drinking coffee once Fall semester begins, though.

But, there's still room for improvement!! Here are some areas that still need more time for recovery:

1. Numbness. My chin and lower lip are still numb. This makes my lower lip look crooked sometimes.

2. Bruising. I still have a very faint bruise on my lower right jaw. The bruise continues on my neck, near my vocal cords.

3. Voice. Although I don't sound like a 5-year old anymore, I still don't sound normal. Maybe now I sound like a 10-year-old.

4. Swelling. Yep, I still have swelling on my face. That will take time to heal.

5. Jaw. I have a limited range of motion when it comes to opening my jaw. I need to do keep doing Rachel's aggressive and exaggerated facial exercises - they really do help!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg No Coffee? My dear friend, this has been life changing :)

xo,
Amanda

Anonymous said...

Love your smiling pictures! I can't smile that wide yet.
I second what you say about breathing - it's just *so good* to be able to breathe properly.

Rachel said...

I love this picture! Those exercises are majic aren't they? Its funny, I don't drink coffee anymore either. I used to because I needed it but now I might have half a cup just for the flavor. I think I'm more worried that I'll get coffee stains on my teeth. I haven't tried pancakes yet which is shocking since I love them to death. Hmmm, maybe I have breakfast planned for tmmw. They're really good with apple cinnamon applesauce instead of butter and syrup for something different. It will still get them good and soggy.

Nate said...

OH Dr. V. You have some cog psych books you said I could barrow. Could you bring those tomorrow. I'd like to get on the ball a little bit more before the semester starts.

Thanks!
N

Kam said...

You're looking great! Cute pic! Brings a smile to my face *ouch!* :)

lotti said...

Hi Michelle,

this is Lotti. Congratulations for your recovery and I am taking notes about your exercises! I will have surgery really soon (Next Wednesday, the 6th), and I will also have both the upper and the lower jaws adjusted. I am pretty scared about vomiting, blood, and vomiting blood. How bad was it for you? Were you wired? I've found reading your and others' blogs very interesting and helpful...so I decided to write my own blog as a way to both "demonize" the surgery and to help other people that were, are or will be in the same situation. If you want to look at it, this is the link: http://lotti-jawsurgery.blogspot.com/ Thank you

Lori G. said...

Michelle,

You look great! My computer has been down for a week and I have been out of touch. I can't wait until I can breath out of my nose.
Keep up those facial exercises. I'll probably need them in a few weeks.

lotti said...

Michelle,
thank you very much for answering me.
I am happy to hear that Wededays are auspicious! I will religiously take all the meds they are going to give me.

Kam said...

I'm able to smile a little, mostly using my bottom lip, but my upper lip is still dull and sore, so no big smiles, really.