Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Good-bye Surgical Hooks, Hello Power Chain


I finally saw my OD this morning. I could hardly wait for the surgical hooks and ties to come out of my mouth once and for all. And no more steel wires! I was so happy to brush my teeth and floss without the wires, too. That's always a treat for me. It was kind of weird, though, because my OS had broken a bracket off my front left tooth. So brushing that tooth felt like I was brushing my gums; it was so smooth. I guess I've gotten used to scrubbing those ceramic brackets. I can't say I'll be missing these braces when they finally come off. But unlike Rachel, I didn't have the guts to ask Dr. Wong when the big day would come. Although I thought about asking...In the meantime, some kid got his braces off while I was there. The techs all sang a cheerful song to celebrate the occasion. I was green with envy.

So now I have a lovely power chain across my four front teeth and a rubber band on my left side. The activation hurts so much! But no pain, no gain - so bring it on!

Today also happens to be my 7-week post-op anniversary. I have to say that I'm feeling back to normal. Ok, so my teeth hurt and it took me an hour to eat one serving of lasagna (in stark contrast to my friends who only took 10 min to chow down). After what I've been through, however, this is a piece of cake to deal with. And school's about to start soon, so my thoughts have led me back to academia and away from the orthognathic world. That's a good thing, I think. I'm looking forward to having closure someday.

8 comments:

cookieyum said...

You look so happy! and Im happy for you! You havent mentioned it lately but how is your voice? returning to normal I hope.
Mo-Mo

Kam said...

Ahh! You're looking SO. GOOD.

Darn those little kids! They get all of their dental problems out of the way so early in life!

I can't wait until I can celebrate my 7 week! Boy, I want these darn surgical hooks off. :P

And oh. dear. lasagna sounds good. I'm tempted to stuff some in the blender, but most of my blender experiments have only resulted in sadness. Lately I've been sticking to my variety of assorted oatmeals and protein powder added to them. Mashed potatoes and country gravy, soup and juice. I *kinda* successfully enjoyed some tuna salad. I just had to force myself not to chew. I might try mooshed mac&cheese a little later down the road. Good luck with the new school year!

Anonymous said...

You look great Michelle, such a nice smile, braces and all!

It's such a good sign that your mind is onto something else than orthodontia, isn't it.
How confident do you feel about speaking in front of a an audience - since I gather it's part of your job?

mylene

Michelle said...

Aww, thanks you guys. You're really too sweet. Thanks for asking about my voice, Mo-Mo. It sounds MUCH better now - it's still a little nasal sounding, but the pitch has dropped back to its normal range. Thank goodness because classes begin on the 25th!

I usually get butterflies on the first day of class, but I feel really comfortable talking to a classroom of students. I don't get nervous in front of them, but I do get nervous when I do public speaking in front of my colleagues and grown-ups!

:0)
M

holski said...

Lookin' good girlfriend!

I can't wait to be thinking about something other than jaws. *sigh*

lotti said...

Congrats for your smile! You look great and happy. It must be amazing feeling less hardware on your mouth...I can't wait for that moment too even if I know I still have a long way in front of me.
Good luck for your classes!

Lori G. said...

You are looking great! My surgical hooks are driving me crazy. When did the feeling come back to the roof of your mouth and your upper teeth? My teeth feel like wood and my palate feels so tight sometimes.

Congratulations on your 7 week anniversary and all the best on the beginning of new academic year.

Dragon (Karen) said...

Great that the surgical wires and tires are gone!

Your smile is looking amazing!