Friday, July 4, 2008

Voicebox Vandal

The last time I went for a teeth cleaning, my dentist and I had a pleasant chat about a friend of his who also had jaw surgery. Dr. Campbell went on about the wonderful outcomes from that surgery and how a surprising thing happened with his friend - her accent changed. Apparently, her family was of European descent (maybe from Sweden, I can't remember exactly where), and guess what? Her new accent sounded like she came directly from that country.

So we laughed about that for a bit because although I was raised in Georgia, I really don't have a southern accent. (I would say it's fairly neutral.) And I certainly wasn't going into this operation with any optimism about acquiring a southern twang or drawl.

Well, before you jump to any conclusions, let me first say that I had completely forgotten about the conversation I had with Dr. Campbell. I suppose there were larger issues about this surgery that consumed my attention.

And no, I don't have a southern accent now. But my voice box has been tinkered with because I sound like a completely different person. If I had to describe this alleged person, I would quickly put her at about 5 years of age. That's right, I sound like a kid. Somehow, my pitch has risen a few notes from my normal range of speech. I'm hoping my voice will drop as the swelling goes down.

Oh, for the love, is this some kind of twisted puberty joke?

When I took the pups for a walk this afternoon, three guys across the street asked me what kinds of dogs I have. I told them I have a miniature schnauzer and a bichon, in my kiddie voice, of course. They all laughed at me. "Can you say that again?," they asked.

Now I'm a college professor, but I was in no mood to lecture them about being polite to strangers. "No thank you," I said as I continued walking. "Wow, that was a high-pitched voice," they all chuckled.

I felt indignant, but I didn't think that giving them a piece of my mind would be worth the effort. But now I'm getting a little worried about this new-fangled voice of mine. I really want my old voice box to come back before fall semester begins. I don't want my own students to tease me about sounding like a kid. 

7 comments:

SBCatMan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SBCatMan said...

Well, I am sure you voice will come back to normal, but you had me going for a moment there. You know, I really LOVE a a good Southern accent! And a Georgia accent no less ... ahhh ... just the mere thought of it!

Oh well ...

July 4, 2008 10:12

Experimentaholic said...

Your voice is an angel's. Don't worry about some South Bend hecklers. I like your new voice. "Cool as a cucumber" as they say.

Kam said...

How strange! I already sound like a child,so who knows, I cold be coming out of surgery sounding like Kristin Chenoweth. :) (but if I gain the ability to sing like her, i guess that will be fine, hehee)

I'm sure your muscles are still very tense and swollen, but in a couple weeks, all your muscles should get more comfortable and return to normal, so it's probably temporary.
Enjoy it while you can! Prank phone calls to friends! ;D

Rachel said...

It could be worse. I sound like a man. I think its because my throat is so swollen still. At least that's what I hope its from!

Michelle said...

Thanks for all the encouragement, guys. Kam, I think I will try prank calling some people. Ha!!

:0)
M

holski said...

Hey Michelle,
Great blog! Congrats on being on the "other side". Best wishes for the rest of your recovery. Do you mind if I add your blog to my list of weblinks? =)