Saturday, July 5, 2008

Glamour Shot Photos!

Just kidding, no glamour shot photos here. I look like a cabbage patch kid, after all. But Rachel has inspired me by putting up her pictures so quickly, so I'm jumping on the bandwagon.

As with most things in life, we need to be able to make comparisons to see if there's a difference in an outcome. And we want to make fair comparisons, so the photos you're about to see were all taken using a web cam.

Here's a "before" picture taken on June 9th:


Ok, drumroll please......................................................................

And here's how I look today:









My face is obviously still swollen, which provides me with this nice asymmetric look. I'm still bruised on my neck, too. I'm 10 days post-op, so I just need to give it more time for the swelling to go down.

In other news, my friend Jessica had a good laugh when she heard me speak on the phone today. I decided to spread this joy by leaving a message on my brother's phone and then calling my friend Dawn. When Dawn picked up, she was naturally startled to hear me. She said I sounded like a 6-year old. I took that as a complement. Apparently, my voice has already aged by a year and it's only been a day since I complained about sounding like a 5-year old. Ooh yeah!

6 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm sure the swelling will get better. I tried hot towels just now and it feels much better. The doctors told me to also trying heating pads rather than ice. I get nosebleeds all the time! Do you? Its really annoying. It seems like I get one everytime I move. I ventured out of the house today with VERY large sunglasses on. Something to try...
Blend vanilla ensure with frozen peaches. It's pretty good for breakfast. I told myself it tasted like Blue Bell peaches and cream ice cream. Are you getting out of the house at all?

Michelle said...

Thanks for these excellent tips, Rachel!!! I haven't tried the heating pads - I didn't know they were better than ice. Drats, that's what I've been using!

Ohh, that's a very good suggestion with blending ensure. In fact, that'll be my breakfast tomorrow. Yummy!!

My nose has finally stopped bleeding all the time. It's not completely healed, though. Whenever I blow my now (gently!), I still see blood. But the nose bleeds have come to an end, thank goodness. My surgeon said it was a nuisance, but nothing to worry about.

I have been getting out of the house to walk the dogs. And I did go to my friend's coffee shop earlier this week. I felt self-conscious about my appearance, but I felt more determined to get some fresh air. I only did these things when my energy levels were pretty high. You're only 3-days post-op, so take it easy!!!

:0)
M

Nate said...

Well lets hope that every day only brings your voice down 1 year for a couple days. Imagine if that trend continued for 6 months. You'd sound like James Earl Jones. I think that would be by far more terrifying than a pre-pubescent voiced professor. Either way you'll still have my utmost respect for you as a professor 6 year-old voiced or James Earl Jones.

On another note your swelling is going down considerably! Glad to see your healing well.

And the bleeding out of the nose...that just sounds uncomfortable.

Rachel said...

I'm going to get heating pads tonight since the hot washcloths don't stay hot too long and it feels like my swelling is at a stand still. Last night I got really congested which made it super hard to breathe. I took a hot shower and it made it a bit better. Its not like we can blow our nose though which makes it tough! Here is something else to try...
Cream of Wheat with milk, strawberries, and bananas with a touch of honey. After you heat up the cereal add the fruit and honey. Blend, strain, and eat. It makes my throat feel so good and it really feels me up. It seems like it doesn't take much for me to get full these days.

Rachel said...

I bought a heating pad today and it does feel much better. Its like a long sock filled with bean stuff that you microwave and drape over your face. It is awesome. I'm about to write a post about it. My energy had been completely zapped. I'll think I'm doing great and then all of a sudden...wham! It feels like I need a nap!

Anonymous said...

looks like things are going well! at this point, i agree- we pretty much just get to wait for the swelling to go down. i've tried heating up my jaw pack, but the problem is that my swelling's right around my nose and upper lip, so it's hard to use the heating pack, and, you know, breathe :-).