Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Two-week anniversary - ooh yeah!

Two weeks ago at approximately 7:30am, I was trying to hop off the operating table and avoid having jaw surgery altogether. Thank goodness I was given a "cocktail" to slow my responses, otherwise I would've gotten the heck out of the OR room and sprinted back home. (So much for being called "brave" by my friends!) I remember seeing my favorite nurse, Terri, in the operating room. "Oh, good," I thought. "Terri will rescue me!" But no, she didn't. She just waved to me as Dr. Schroeder, my anesthesiologist, gently nudged me to lay down and to breathe in some oxygen. It was more like me hyperventilating into the mask, but three puffs later, I was down for the count.

Fast forward to today. I'm feeling great, despite these rubber bands forcing my lower jaw into compliance. The swelling is still around, much to my chagrin, but what more can I do? I use my heating pad religiously and I sleep upright. There's nothing else to my knowledge that will make the swelling disappear more quickly.

And I feel so lucky to have made friends in the blogosphere. Rachel has given me several good ideas on what to make (I'm still enjoying my cream of wheat & bananas breakfast, thanks to her!). And I'm going to make a pit stop at the grocery store later today to pick up some sweet potatoes. I'm looking forward to trying this recipe, Rachel! I'm also glad to be connected with Kam, Holly, and Melissa. I really do feel like we're all in this together, sharing our ideas, experiences, and tips with each other. It makes the healing process all the more enjoyable and manageable.

So here's how I look like today, still sporting the cabbage-patch kid look (although my friend Jessica said I resembled John McCain. What?!?!? That's crazy talk!). I've decided to forgo wearing make-up until the swelling has gone away. And as you can tell, I have zero motivation for styling my hair. "C'est la vie," as the French say, that's life for me these days, and I'm so happy to be two-weeks post op. Hooray!!!!




11 comments:

Rachel said...

You probably can't tell since you see it everyday, but the swelling looks like its starting to go down. Did they give you Decadrol(I think that's what its called)in the hospital? Its a drug that is used to help with swelling and they pumped me full of it three times a day. I wonder if that is a major factor in the swelling going down. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

the cream of wheat and bananas sounds good- i'll have to try that. my 'chewing' at the moment consists of my opening and closing my mouth, as if my splint was still there and i was closing into it- most of my mac and cheese was smushed against the back of my bottom teeth, since that seems to work better than the roof of my mouth. i'm still nervous, not having bands, that i'll do something i'm not supposed to and mess something up!
-melissa

Michelle said...

Geez, I can't remember what the drug was called, but I do know it was some kind of medicine to reduce the swelling. They also gave me a steroid cream to put on my lips (I know I have full lips, but my goodness, it looked like I lost some kind of boxing match!). I think it's just my body taking its sweet time, so I'll take your advice and just hang in there day by day.

mmm...Mac 'n cheese...that sounds divine!

:0)
M

L.M.C said...

thanks for sharing your blog ... wow you seem to be on the right track with your recovery. hope the swelling continues to go down.

Anonymous said...

Michelle: You have been such an inspiration to me and Kelley, and thanks for advice. The Doctor called but Kelley missed the call, her sister took the message from the Dr. and he said that they had all the measurement and hooks they needed. The Doctor gave Kelley a liquid diet booklet the receipes look good, he also said baby food was good to use in receipes and straight to use. I thought that was a good suggestion from him. Saves time blending. Keep up your spirts! I know this is stressful on you.

Michelle said...

Cookieyuml, thanks for the update. I was worried after I read Kam's post - it sounded like there was a couple loose ends. So I'm glad to hear everything's on track for July 24th.

And thanks, everyone, for your encouraging words. I really do appreciate your support!!!

:0)
M

Kam said...

Yay! Happy two-week!
(Oh, it's fine calling me Kam or Kelley. Kam is my lil' nickname.)

Yeah, I'm really nervous about the loose ends. I'm a very di-chromatic person, so when the doctor tells me (regarding the surgical hooks) You could have more, but if not, we'll get by. I do NOT want to hear that. I don't want to hear "we'll get by" this is my jaw, after all. I want to hear a "yes" or "no". Eeep! ;D
As for the measurements, he told my sister he had them, but I don't trust that, I don't recall any measuring devices being put around my face or and measurements like that being taken other than my gap.

I'll be making a modified rant of this on my blog a little later this evening. but thank you soo so much for your concern, it means worlds that people like you are there to support me and understand the anxiety. :)

On another note, when I mom came to visit over dinner we were talking about you just like you were a member of the family- "How is Michelle?" "Oh I think the healing is going really well!" "Did you read her latest blog?" "Yeah, I left a comment" ect, ect. :D

Nate said...

Wow! When you feel your back to your normal self, you should put all of the photos side by side for comparison. So far it looks like your healing is going wonderfully!

Experimentaholic said...

Omedetou, Verges-san. Anata wa totemo utsukushii desuyo! Kawaii mo!

Rachel said...

I checked out your profile because I was looking for your email address so I don't have to keep posting to your blog. You are one smart cookie! I didn't realize you already had your PhD. I finally finished my bachelors in psych last semester. Impressive!

holski said...

Looking good girl! =) You're looking better every day.