Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Rubber Banded!!

I like the title of Rachel's post today called Silence of the Bands, but I have another perspective about rubber bands. They hurt!!

Dr. Asdell put two bands on my teeth today because my lower jaw was jutting too far to the left, thanks to the swelling. He told me that wearing rubber bands is different than being banded shut. I didn't know there was a difference - I've heard people talk about wearing splints and getting banded shut following their jaw surgeries, but I didn't have to go through that. I think it's because he used rigid fixation (meaning he used really strong screws to hold my jaws together, I guess).

The nurses at Dr. Asdell's office were happy to see me. They noticed that the swelling has gone down. Of course, I thought they were just being nice. I'm still fairly swollen and jealous of Rachel! She's looking like one hot momma over there in Texas and I'm still looking like a cabbage patch kid! ;0)

After my appointment, I went home, took some Tylenol and enjoyed a long nap. That has been my general approach in dealing with this pain. And man, oh man, wearing these rubber bands is not pleasant. Dr. Asdell wants to see me again next week, so I'm hoping he will free me of these bands real quick. Cheers to wishful thinking!

3 comments:

Nate said...

If I had my jaw operated on, thats just about all I'd want to do too. Sleep. It would afford some wonderful time to watch all 6 Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings, God Father, or the entire series Scrubs--in order.

by the by. I have all of that on DVD if your interested.

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel said...

Yup, these bands are no fun at all. It really put a damper on my mood since I have to repeat myself about three times every time I say something. We'll have to bounce positive thoughts off each other so we can both be set free next week! As far as the swelling, I really think the hot sock is working. I kept it on my face for a total of two hours off and on yesterday. I think its funny how much we talk about each other. Clay and my family are always checking in to see how you are doing. On another note, I diced up a sweet potato and cooked in a skillet until soft. I then added the chunks too some beef vegetable soup. It made it a better consistency and sweet potatoes are really good for you.