Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I'm Halfway There

Today marks my 3-week anniversary. I should be more ecstatic about this, but my mind has been focused on other matters today (like writing a journal article). So time to recharge my batteries and reflect on this jaw breaking moment. First, I must say that I still experience pain in my jaws. I take this as a sign of healing, but I'm still taking pain meds to offset the discomfort. During the day, the pain is relatively minor, but the greatest pain I feel is usually in the mornings. I figured it's because I slept throughout the night and missed taking a 3am dose of pain meds. It's really not a big deal, though. I just take another dose around 8am, wait for the magic to appear around 8:45am, and then take the dogs out for their morning walk.

In terms of swelling, well...it's still present. But I think it's finally going down some. Yeah!




And my voice still sounds rather childlike. Someone was telling me that men like women having higher-pitched voices. Immediately I raised my eyebrow in disbelief. Who are you kidding, buster? And then they pointed out how Donald Trump likes women with such voices, as though that would change my opinion. I thought this person was completely nuts! Plus, it doesn't help when the neighborhood guys chastised me last week about my voice. So I'm not buying it.

Oh, one last thing before I forget - my lower lip and chin are completely numb. Sometimes it tingles (and it feels great!), but I've noticed no real improvement in this area of my face. I remind myself to give it some time. Patience isn't exactly my virtue, but I'm working on it. :0)

8 comments:

holski said...

Hey girlie!
You look great! I still had pain at three weeks, pretty much just in the mornings as well. Sounds like you are right on track!

Thanks again for all of your kind words these past few weeks. =)

You're halfway there! Yay!!!!

Michelle said...

Oh good, I'm glad to know this is perfectly normal!!! Thanks Holly! I hope you had a better day today, too!

:0)
M

cookieyum said...

I think the swelling has gone done significantly. I was thinking today about the body healing. I got a oven burn on my wrist about 3 weeks ago and the scab just came off, and that was just a little burn, think what you went through, It will take awhile before you feel normal again. Keep it up your doing great!

Kam said...

You're lookin' great!
Good luck on all the healing. How is your jaw range, can you move is easily or is it stiff, are they making you do those jaw exercises?

Lori G. said...

Michelle,

I think your swelling has gone down a significant amount. You look wonderful! I love to hear that other people want to know if what they are feeling and experiencing is "normal". That's why I'm so glad I found all the other jaw surgery patients. The support of everyone's experiences and wisdom is comforting.

Congratulations on your 3-week anniversary!

Rachel said...

Yeah! You're looking great. Your swelling has gone down significantly in the last week. I hope your pain starts to subside through the night. I good night's sleep always helps.

Anonymous said...

Looking good!
I hope your voice soon reverts back to normal, that thing about high pitched voice.. which idiot said that? ;-)

mylene

Anonymous said...

Hi! By coincidence, I stumbled onto your blog while googling about the recovery process. My surgery was exactly a week after yours, I think--July 2nd. It's so nice to know (and read) that someone out there is going through this terrible liquid diet as well.

Is your mouth wired shut?