Saturday, July 19, 2008

Take it Easy

This past week, I've managed to take it easy by reading novels and moseying around the house. Sounds hum drum, I know, but I must confess that most of my friends and colleagues would consider me to be a workaholic. (That's nothing to be proud about!) So in addition to revising a manuscript for publication, I read Life of Pi and The Alchemist. Life of Pi is my all-time favorite book and it was my second time reading it. And I would quickly put The Alchemist on my top 10 list. It's fabulous. I'm currently The Shadow of the Wind, which is a complicated and engrossing story about a young boy who discovers a book from the Cemetery of the Forgotten Books, which turns out to be cursed - and of course, reading that book gets him involved in a thrilling adventure.

Ok, so I'm a bookworm. What can I say, I love entertaining my imagination!

But I'm also a member of Netflix, so I've been taking advantage of my membership these days, too. Last night, I watched a foreign film called Caramel. Check out the trailer below. You may be surprised to know it's a Lebanese film. I don't know much about that culture, so I felt like my eyes were opened a little bit by watching this flick.



I also watched a quirky documentary called Run Granny Run. It's about a woman affectionally known as "Granny D" who decides to run for Senate at the tender age of 94-years old. She's actually really inspiring. When she was 90-years old, she walked all the way from California to her home state of New Hampshire. That's quite an accomplishment!

5 comments:

cookieyum said...

It's hard to slow down, especially if your use to being on the go alot. Try and enjoy the time you have. Sound like you are catching up on your books and movies. Would Shadow of the Wind be a good read for a 12 yr. boy? It sounds like something my son might be interested in if not to scarry or mature in nature.
Mo-Mo.

Michelle said...

Thanks, Mo-Mo. You're right about it being hard to slow down, but I'm trying to enjoy this time off. (It really shouldn't be that difficult!)

I was thinking about whether Shadow of the Wind would be a good book for a 12-year old to read, and I came to the conclusion that it may be a little to mature for him at the moment. Some of the scenes are rather suspenseful. I remember feeling a little spooked after I finished reading it last night, and I'm 30-years old! So maybe in a few years he'll be ready to read this gripping novel!

:0)
M

Rachel said...

Ah caramel, how I've missed it. That trailer made me think of its ooey gooey goodness! The movie looks great, I love quirky oddball flicks. Glad you got caught up on some entertainment this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your time 'off' - well, at least having the time to read. It's all I'm doing too.

I really liked 'the shadow of the wind' when I read it last year. I bought his next one 'El juego del angel' (not sure if it's translated yet?) and I've had to leave it before the end, I was getting bored. Such a disappointment!

Mylene

Mimmy said...

Hiya, just come across your blog and you're looking good (albeit swollen :o))I have been told today that I need BSSO and maybe Lefort 1 too! How did you find it? I'm so scared!

- Mim