Friday, June 20, 2008

Prediction: Dreaming about Jaw Surgery

I was reading Kam's blog today and I think she planted a thought into my head: dreaming about jaw surgery! Her dream wasn't exactly pleasant, but hopefully the jawbone dream catcher she made will filter out any bad dreams for me. Just to play it safe, though, I've had a beer and one passion-fruit margarita, so I should be covered! :0)

The anxiety I've felt recently has manifested itself in strange ways. Sometimes it hits me like a Mac truck, suddenly and with great impact. And just as it strikes, the anxiety quickly dissipates. I'm having a tough time with this. When I feel that anxiety, it's because I imagine how I will feel after the surgery. And when the anxiety flutters away, it's because I've mentally removed myself from the picture (it's as though I were imagining someone else having the surgery, not me). The mind sure knows how to play tricks with stress.

And now, a toast to Kam's jawbone dream catcher. Cheers!

2 comments:

Kam said...

Awe! Thanks for the shout-out, I didn't make the dream catcher though, I was just lucky enough to find it on an image search, heehee! I'm the same way about the anxiety, sometimes I wish I could have the surgery tomorrow, other days I'm thinking "what did I get myself into?! This is really going to happen soon!!"

I just saw your comment on my "Arr, matey" post- The smartsmile wires aren't that much different than the normal wires they put in, but after a while the doctor doesn't have to switch them out as often. As for the hooks, I've got no idea why he put them on me now. According to my surgeon, he didn't put all the hooks on and I'm getting new wires anyway (so he'd have to take the hooks off anyway). You are very lucky that they're waiting right before surgery to put yours on (they trap food like CrAzY!! And a pain in the butt when trying to floss)

Michelle said...

Well, too bad I didn't think about just having a regular dream catcher - my friend Sean had a nightmare last night about who-knows-what, but he was calling for help in his sleep. Me, I slept like a baby.

Thanks for giving me the scoop about those Smart Smile wires - now I don't feel like such a small-town girl!!

:0)
M