Thursday, June 19, 2008

I'm Not Alone

These last few days have been really good for me in terms of preparing for the surgery. I joined the Orthognathic Support Group yesterday and I've already met two people who are having surgery on June 25th.

One of those people is a woman who's blogging about her jaw-surgery experience, too. I'm hoping that we'll be able to support each other through this process. This reminds me that I'm not so unique after all - there's someone else having surgery on the same day as me who's also blogging. Sweet!!

Despite the fact I'm not unique (and that's okay!), my friend Heather did make me feel special yesterday. We met for dinner last night at Fiddler's, which is my favorite local restaurant in South Bend. Heather surprised me by presenting me a cute bag filled with goodies for my post-op recovery. I have several crossword and sodoku puzzles, straws, two bottles of ensure (one vanilla, the other chocolate), foot spa treatment (for Sean to rub my feet - ha!), and several dog-walking/errand/housecleaning coupons that I can redeem from her until I'm able to eat solid food again. Amazing! I am really touched by this - I certainly wasn't expecting anything from anyone, and Heather was so thoughtful and kind. Aww, I do feel special!

And Sean is taking a train from Philadelphia en route to South Bend today. That's a 17-hour train ride, so it's not for the faint-hearted. My sister Erica will also be coming up to South Bend from Atlanta on Sunday. She's flying stand-by so hopefully she'll be able to easily catch a flight.

It's so awesome to have these friends and family in my life. I do feel lucky and supported by them. This helps keep my spirits up and I think it will help my recovery. A toast to them and to the power of positive thinking!

1 comment:

Kam said...

Hey! Thank you so much for finding my blog! I'm updating mine as we speak. :D
It's really much, much easier to go through with this operation knowing that others have/or will be having it, too. Good luck with everything! Blog with ya' later! :D