Friday, December 12, 2008

Somehow, three months flew right off the calendar. The last time I blogged, it was the start of the semester. At that time, I was worried about my voice not sounding back to normal, and my face was still slightly swollen from the surgery.

It's amazing what a semester can do to a person, though. I found myself reemerged into the academic lifestyle: teaching three classes, publishing research, participating in service. I advised students on what classes they should take, attended a research conference to present my current projects, and wrote letters of recommendation for three students who aspire to continue their studies. And it's still not over! I have a paper deadline on Monday, as well as more committee work so that we may hire a new dean for the College of Arts and Sciences.

And somewhere in that mix, I received a very endearing note from Kam to "come baaaack". I'm sorry it's taken me a week to respond. I just finished posting final grades this afternoon. So phew! Maybe now I can try shaking the cobwebs off this old blog of mine!

Of course, as promised, I checked out everyone's blog from time to time. It seems like almost everyone has gotten fancy with their blog decor! I was relieved to find out that Holly is recovering well from her second surgery. And I was green with envy when I heard that Rachel and Lotti are getting their braces off soon. I had made the mistake by asking my ortho about my "big day." He seemed fairly annoyed by the question, and he told me it would take an additional six months. Doing the math now, I think that puts me into March since I asked him that dreadful question.

But all is well with me, thank goodness. I'm happy to report that I sound completely normal. The swelling is mostly gone, although I don't think it's entirely gone. I don't experience anymore muscle spasms, but on rare occasions, I do feel a slight tingle in my lower jaw muscles. And sometimes my jaw is a little tight in opening up. But these are all minor incidences. I really do feel blessed for having a successful orthognathic experience!

So, okay, I feel obligated to post a photograph. Now, granted, I look a mess. I guess this is what happens to academics who are so focused on their work, they forget to take care of themselves! My other excuse is that because I'm a nerdy professor, I can hide behind that lofty title. Professors are nerdy, right?!!?

Ok, enough joshing. I hope you enjoy the picture of me and my little kitty, Claudio!

6 comments:

Kam said...

Awe! It's so great to know you're doing well! And you're looking amazing adn your little kitty, too!
Too bad you still have to deal with the braces, but they'll be off soon enough!
Have a wonderful holiday!! :)

Anonymous said...

It great to hear from you! Thanks for the update, The "original summer of 2008 surgery blog" group is thinning out and will eventually fade away but its nice when they re-surface. I don't post much eiher but do a weekly read to see what is going on. Hope you have enjoy the Holidays! Mo-Mo

holski said...

Glad to hear that everything is going well. You look FABulous. =)

Unknown said...

Hi, congratulations on the whole experience. I'm having upper in the new year. Did you notice much of a change to your nose from the upper jaw surgery?

jame.s

Michelle said...

Hey James,

Thanks for stopping by my blog. My upper jaw was not moved forward or back, it was "simply" re-angled to correct a mild open bite. So although my nose looked different immediately after surgery due to swelling, it has reverted back to its normal shape. (Thank goodness!)

Lemme know if you have any other questions. I hope you have a good ortho experience, too!!

:0)
M

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle,
I found Rachel's blog today and she suggested I contact you since you had both upper and lower surgery like I did three months ago (9/25). I feel like I still have some swelling to the sides of my mouth (lower cheeks). But I'm wondering if this is just my new facial structure? I'm not seeing my full upper cheeks like I had before. Just curious if you had the same issue and how long it took for your swelling to disappear. Would love to hear from you: betsyclements@gmail.com