Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Four-week Celebration - Yay!

Today I joyfully celebrated my four-week anniversary! For breakfast, I enjoyed two Birthday Pancakes - basically they're buttermilk pancakes with a few chocolate chips thrown in the batter for good measure. What a marvelous way to start the day. It was phenomenal to use a fork again. Seriously.

Then Heather and I took a short trip to Saugatuck, MI this afternoon. (It's about an hour from where we live.) We had lunch at this little Italian pizza shop. I wanted to order pizza so bad, but the crust looked a little too crispy. So we decided to share a veggie lasagna instead. Oh! It was so delicious!!! The tomato sauce was tangy and a bit sweet. And the lasagna was covered with mozzarella and ricatta cheese that was layered with zucchini, squash, onion, and carrot slices. And I managed to eat a few bites of bread soaked in the sauce. Of course, it took me twice as long to eat my portion. But Heather was totally cool about it. Thank goodness!

After lunch, we moseyed around the shops and enjoyed the gorgeous weather. It really was a beautiful day to take a stroll in a quaint town. When our food finally settled, we made a pit stop at a gelato shop. I ordered a vanilla gelato, which was excellent. And Heather got a mint chocolate chip gelato, which was also very tasty. This is life, I thought. To bask in the sunshine with a good friend and Italian ice cream.

But we were here for business purposes, actually. Heather owns a local coffee shop in South Bend called Chicory Cafe, and she needed to pick up an order of gelato for her store. So we headed back into the car to another small town called Fennville. Believe it or not, this little town houses a huge warehouse that makes gelato from scratch. It was pretty cool to see the behind-the-scenes action in making gelato.

What a perfect way to celebrate my four-week anniversary. I really feel elated. And for posterity, I've taken two photos to chronicle how I look today (with the hope that one day this will be a distant and cheerful memory!):





And in case you missed the memo, Rachel, Kam, and I have joined forces to launch a sister blog called Jaw Dropping Blends. That's right, we're sharing our blended-diet recipes with other folks who are in our shoes! Please check it out and give us a slurp! :0)

5 comments:

Rachel said...

You look great! Ah, your day sounds fantastic. Clay and I just got back from our favorite gelato shop. What makes it even better is that they have really tiny spoon which are perfect. I actually have lasagna planned for tomorrow...nice and soft. This solid food hasn't been easy, but its so good!

Michelle said...

I loved that little spoon! I marveled over the exact same thing with Heather. It really was perfect!

:0)
M

Anonymous said...

You used a fork! I'm so envious! :-)
*gazing into the distance* Some day, I, too, shall use one again....

Anonymous said...

happy (belated) four weeks! when do you go to the OD again? i go next week, and i'm nervous, b/c my back bracket (the one the wire anchors into) broke off during surgery, so i don't know if he'll replace that or not. hope your birthday pancakes were good (i also had chocolate chip pancakes this morning- a few days late for my 4-week "birthday" and a day early for my real birthday!)

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, pancakes. That's what I'd like right now. I tried my local supermarket, but the american style ones don't exist here - I'l in France - and if I make French 'crêpes' I won't be able to chew them yet. Boooo.
I think about food all the time...