Sunday, June 29, 2008

Starting to Feel Better

I'm starting to feel better, at least a little bit normal now. I have been doped up on so many medications that I could not think straight. But now my body is getting used to all these drugs - oh dear.

There are so many people I have to thank while I was at the hospital - all of the doctors and nurses were so good to me. They gave me the best treatment I could have ever asked for. Crystal was probably my favorite nurse because she took care of me immediately following the surgery. She was so sweet to me. I also remember this other person who was not in charge of taking care of me, but we recognized each other from going to Fiddler's, which is my favorite restaurant. He held my hand and said "God bless you" many times and told Crystal that I was so sweet. I told Crystal that he sang at Fiddler's and anytime he sang, he captured everybody's attention because he has so much soul. It was so nice to hold his hand when I was in the recovery room.

I also remember Crystal asking another nurse about whether she should call my doctor at that time. Before she got her response, the phone rang. It was my doctor, Dr. Asdell. She told me how rare that was for the doctor to call the nurse about how the patient is doing. That was good, I thought. Dr. Asdell also gave me a bouquet of flowers. So nice!

And there was a team of nurses that were excellent when I was sent to the regular patient room. I remember Jessica, Claudine, Trudy, Yvonne, Dee, and Kate, although there were more nurses that took care of me. Jessica was meticulous about giving me my medications and water, and she was so kind. Claudine helped by removing my catheter and the hose that was in my nose (sorry, I don't know what that thing was called). Yvonne was gentle and patient with me when I had to walk to the bathroom for the very first time. I walked like an old lady, about 100 years old. And I held on to Yvonne while we shuffled to the bathroom. And when I could walk better, Dee held my arm for that walk down the hall. I always made sure to say "thank you" to my nurses.

Dr. Wong also came to see me at the hospital. And he surprised me with two presents: a hand blender and mouthwash. Perfect! He really is a great person, not just a great orthodontist. I told him that he and Dr. Asdell make a good team. He agreed.

Ok, well I think I will ask Sean to put a picture of me on the blog. But he is walking the dogs right now, so that will have to wait. I will ask him not to put a picture that is too scary!!!

3 comments:

Kam said...

Oh my goodness! That was soo sweet of everyone, especially the doctors going out of their way to get you thoughtful pick-me-ups. I hope for my surgery I get that kind of care and support, I'm sure it makes a world of difference!
Take care, you're lookin' great! I hope to see more to see how the healing process is treating you. :D

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog, I am "kam's" Kelley's Mom and have been keeping up with all the surgeries. I'm glad to hear your doing so well. I'm going to be kelleys caretaker, but I will only be able to stay about 5 days. How well were you doing after 5 days? Where you able to get up and around?

Michelle said...

Hi Cookieyuml!!

So nice to hear you're keeping up with these jaw-surgery blogs!! I can tell Kam is in good hands with your support.

I am 4 days post-op and I'm feeling well (I would say a 3 on a 1-10 scale, with 10 being in excruciating pain). I am still quite swollen and it makes it difficult to talk for a long time. I get occasional nose bleeds, too. My energy level is moderate to low. I have taken walks around the neighborhood, which is good but makes me feel tired afterwards. I am eating and taking my medicines on a regular schedule, thanks to my friend Sean and my sister Erica.

I have found the zip 'n squeeze bags to be so-so. I am doing quite well just drinking out of a straw.

I will keep you posted as the healing continues!

:0)
M